Care instructions for linen
Caring for linen items is rather simple and straightforward. Here are some basic rules you may follow to make the most of your linen articles.
If you wash by hand:
- Take a small bucket or use a sink with lukewarm water and add a teaspoon of mild detergent.
- Immerse the linen item into your container and let it soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir gently the item around. Do not twist the fabric because it may stretch the fabric.
- Empty the soapy water and rinse a couple of times until all the soap residue is totally gone. Hang your item to dry.
If you machine wash your linen:
- Avoid mixing white, dark and coloured items. It is advised to turn your linen inside out and wash separately from other fabrics. Do not overload the machine.
- To be energy efficient and to preserve the life span of your linen, wash it in lukewarm water only. Excessive temperature may cause a shrinkage of over 5%, which could be a serious issue for items such as bed skirts or curtains.
- Use only mild detergent formulated for delicate fabrics.
- Do not use bleach.
- Never pour detergent directly on dry linen as that may stain the fabric. Always dilute the detergent before putting it into your machine.
- Avoid electric dryers or use at a low or medium setting to avoid damaging the linen fabric and getting excessive shrinkage.
- If you can hang dry your linen, the wind and the sun will do a better job.